The Hawaii International Film Association (HIFA) is a non-profit organization that was established in 1987 by companies and individuals specializing in the overseas production business. HIFA provides assistance by negotiating with the government, labor unions, private businesses and assist with the US Customs and Border Protections prior to any filming in Hawaii.
Visa Pilot Program
1. Countries under the current U.S. Waiver Agreement
- Japan, Andorra, Belgium, Australia, Austria, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, South Korea, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Greek, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Holland, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, England, Czech republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Slovak Republic, Malta
2. Port of entries is limited to Honolulu and Kona International Airports
3. All contents of the filming must be released outside of the United States.
4. All filming is limited within the State of Hawaii.
5. All crew members are to be paid in their country of origin.
6. Your production in Hawaii will need to hire a minimum of one HIFA coordinator and one IBEW or IATSE Union member during the duration of your shoot. Rates will vary with the position and Union. Please inquire with your HIFA coordinator.
Those who do not satisfy all of the above listed conditions need to contact an Immigration Attorney prior to any filming in the State of Hawaii.
Pilot Program Application:
1. Passport copies of all staff members including their positions
2. Actor/Actress Resume is required
3. Productions company name
4. Project name
5. Format (TV, DVD, CM, etc.,)
6. Arriva/Departure Dates
7. Shoot dates
8. Locations (Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Hawaii, Lanai, Molokai)
9. Hawaii's estimated budget including hotel
Your Hawaii coordinator must be a member of HIFA in order to apply
for the pilot program.
Pilot Program Application Fee:
These are 2 letter Application fees.
1. SAG-AFTRA (Actor/Actress union) Application Fee
$50 per job 1 production by SAG-AFTRA (Effective 3/1/2013)
2. HIFA Pilot Program Application Fee
Number of ApplicantFeeRush fee
Over 51 person$1000$250
In order to receive all documents in a timely manner the application must be initiated 10 working days days excluding Saturday, Sunday and National/State holidays prior to the entry into Hawaii.
There will be a late fee charge for all last minute applications.
For carnet matters, please contact your countries local custom office or contact a HIFA member for further details.
Contact a HIFA member for further details.
Please click here to view the HIFA members list.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the pilot program procedure Please e-mail or call our HIFA office.